PPC is way of getting targeted audience to your website by publishing ads on search engines. It is an effective way of generating when you don’t highly rank for your top keywords. But unlike SEO, you will have to pay a price for visitors coming through those published ads.
In order to have a successful PPC campaign, you will need to take care of few important things.
1. Understand your business/brand
- What is your brand/business all about? What are your services/products?
- Study your competition. How are your different than your competition?
- Go through your successful and failed marketing strategies so you can learn from them and not repeat them.
2. Know what your goals are.
- Different businesses have different set of goals. It can be anything based on the nature of your business like of you own a blog your goal is to get more visitors or may be more subscribers, if you are a online shopping website you want more buyers. You goal can be anything based on the nature of your business, so determine your goals early.
- Make your goals realistic. Say if you advertise for $200 you cannot expect to get 200 new leads. But a more realistic goal might be getting around 30 leads. New leads don’t mean new buyers/customers to your products or service but they might possibly turn into one.
3. Determine your budget
- Managing a PPC campaign is exciting and yet overwhelming. You can end up wasting more than whats on your budget if you don’t keep a close eye on your spending. You don’t want to go crazy on an advertising campaign which is not paying off.
- Based on the industry and the keyword you opt-in for, your cost of advertisement varies. For example if you are a cake shop owner you keyword might cost you around 30 cents while if you are a auto care center you might end up paying 5 dollars to 8 dollars a keywords.
- Study your ppc campaign on a regular basis and keep and eye on your ROI. Study how much is your one customer worth. If your spending is around $20 per customer but you are just making $10 on one customer, its not worth carrying that campaign.
4. Who is your targeted audience
- Who is your audience? Figure out the targeted age group, gender, etc. If you are a Bridal store your targeted audience are females.
- What is their location? If you are a cake shop owner in Los Angeles you don’t want to target audience in Seattle.
- What are they looking for? If you are trying to sell an iPhone to a user looking for ringtones it will not turn into a lead. But instead if you are offering a ringtone to audience looking to buy iPhone it can turn into a lead.
5. Work on your keyword list
- Make a list of all important keywords related to your services or products. The success of a PPC campaign mostly depends on the right keywords.
- Finalize your targeted keywords using keywords tools – keywords planner tool (by Google Adwords), Google trends, Wordtracker, etc.
- Bid on the keywords that aptly describe your business.
- Eliminate the keywords that don’t generate leads.
6. Attractive ad Campaign
- For your ad campaign to be successful, your audience has to find your ad attractive.
- Make your TAG line appealing and catchy. Putting right keywords in the campaign is not the only thing about tagline.
- Create different ads for multiple keywords.
- Try not to mislead your audience with your ad campaign. If a visitor come to your website and doesn’t find what he/she is looking for it negatively affects your business.
7. Homepage is NOT your Landing page
- When users are redirected to home page instead of landing page they can get overwhelmed with the content.
- Design a new landing page if you don’t have one.
- Landing page should have a good call of action. If it doesn’t have a call of action the visitor leaves your site, increasing your bounce rate.
8. Most IMPORTANT – monitor your campaign closely
- Check your ROI.
- Redesign your ad if its not generating enough leads.
- You need to track the success of your campaigns and ensure if its getting you right audience.
- Redo points 1-7 based on market changes and change your campaign accordingly.
In general, it is advisable to work towards increasing your ROI by drilling your Adwords spending up and down based on trends without losing the track of your monthly spending. SHare your views with us on this.